As the Housekeeping Supervisor it is your responsibility to organise, develop and direct the overall operations of the Housekeeping Department in accordance with current federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations that govern the facility. The Director of Housekeeping Services is to work with the Administrator to ensure the highest degree of quality housekeeping is maintained on the facility grounds.
Delegation of Authority
As the housekeeping Supervisor, you are delegated the administrative authority, responsibility and accountability necessary for carrying out your assigned duties.
- Interview, hire, train, supervise, evaluate and discipline personnel with the housekeeping Services Department.
- The Director of Housekeeping Service is considered a working supervisor and is required to carry out part of the assigned schedule each day.
- Make job assignments and set priorities for daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly duties.
- Orient new staff and participate in recruitment and selection.
- Keep employees informed of all changes that will affect them.
- Must meet company policies and state and federal regulations regarding environmental services.
- Maintain required records, operate within budget, purchase supplies within budget, and notify Executive Director immediately of any variances to budgets.
- Ensure all work areas and equipment are clean, safe and orderly.
- Ensure universal Precautions are followed when necessary for infection control.
- Ensure department staff follows isolation procedures, fire, safety and sanitation practices and procedures.
- Knowledgeable of all Housekeeping Aide duties and able to complete each.
- Promptly address any hazardous conditions or equipment.
- Plan facility environmental services in conjunction with other department heads and facility departments within company policies and procedures.
- Participate in regularly scheduled conferences including department head meetings, general staff meetings and other mandatory meetings.
- Ensure all aspects of environmental services are completed timely with adequate supplies available for environmental staff.
- Ensure quality of services performed is of the highest quality and meet company, state and federal regulations.
- Ensure environmental services schedules are met or re-evaluate and changed to meet facility needs.
- Comply, with support and enforce company policies involving all safety and infection control procedures to include the proper use of mechanical lifts, gait belts and personal protective back supports.
- Understand, comply with and promote all rules and regulations regarding residents’ rights.
- Promote positive relationships with residents, visitors, and regulator, to include presenting a professional appearance.
- Must maintain regular attendance.
- Other duties as deemed necessary and appropriate, or as may be directed by the Executive Director.
Language Skills: Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of executives, managers, clients, customers, residents and the public.
Mathematical Skills: Basic mathematical skills.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to solve problems and make independent decisions related to the position when circumstances warrant such action.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Monitors all incoming public traffic and assists with job applicants.
- Receives guests and other in a courteous, polite and warm manner.
- Respond to the needs of residents, families and visitors by providing immediate assistance.
- Appropriately and accurately prepares and distributes routine correspondence.
- May provide clerical and administrative support to the various departments.
- Receive and follow reception schedule/instructions from supervisor and as outlined in established policies and procedures.
- Operate paging/telephone system as required.
- Answer telephone, determine nature of call and relay information or route call as appropriate.
- Receive inquiries and release information in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
- Ensure supplies have been replenished in work areas as required.
- Ensure that work areas are neat and clean.
- Maintain a current files/list of residents by name and room number, emergency phone numbers of on-call personnel, department extensions, key personnel, etc.
- Distribute mail within the facility. Prepare outgoing mail for pick up by mail carrier.
- Effectively and courteously communicate with job applicants, accept job applicants and forward as directed.
- Report suspicious persons or information to supervisor immediately.
- Ensure guests, visitor, abide by existing rules and refuse admission to persons as directed.
- Maintain confidently of all resident information to ensure resident rights are protected.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment through the facility.
- Follow all safety procedures and precautions when operating office equipment.
- Report all unsafe or hazardous conditions to supervisor immediately.
- report equipment malfunctions or breakdowns to supervisor as soon as possible.
- Use office supplies in an efficient manner to avoid waste.
- Request repairs for office equipment as necessary.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to solve problems related to the operation of the dishwashing equipment and the assigned cleaning procedures.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Washes and inspects all dishwater and glassware. Stores clean utensils, dishes and glassware in proper places.
- Keeps dishwashing machine and dish room in clean operating condition. Promptly Reports any multifunctions or breakdowns of equipment to Food Service Manager.
- Sweeps and mops kitchen area and waitstaff station and cleans filter over stove area.
- Delivers ice to dining room.
- May assistantships waitstaff with serving and bringing in dishes to kitchen, when necessary.
- May deliver meals to residents in the apartments, when necessary.
- Performs assigned cleaning assignments according to established policies and utilises the proper cleaning chemicals. Keeps work areas clean and uncluttered.
- Ensures that dishes are readily available for the next meal. Stores dishes in the proper location in a way to prevent contamination.
- Ensures that the department is maintained in a safe manner according to established policies. Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment and malfunctioning equipment to the supervisor and/or maintenance, as directed. Operates institutional food preparation equipment according to manufacturer and supervisory instructions.
- Reports all accidents/incidents as established by facility policies. Completes and files reports as directed.
- Maintains confidentiality of all resident personal information to ensure resident rights are protected.
- Adheres to departmental dress code and good hygiene and safety practices.
- Understands and complies with Five Start Attendance Standards Policy.
- Completes work assignments within specific time frames.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates active listening techniques, gains support through effective relationships, treats others with dignity and respect and seeks feedback.
Continuing Education: Attends in0services programs set up for the employees.
Physical Demands: Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds, stand for extended periods of time, carry, reach, bend, finger, grasp and feel. Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability. Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position with includes adherence to time constraints.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an effective in the work environment with residents and other staff members.Apply Online Now
- Trained in required topics as previously listed
- Physical strength and dexterity
- C.N.A. preferred but not mandatory
- Promote the well-being and functional independence of each client by participating with assigned clients in core programming and assisting with activities of daily living, including meal service
- Assist clients in maintaining a clean and tidy living environment
- Assist the client by observing and reporting any change in behavior and/or physical function to nursing
- May provide medication reminders to clients or hand over hand assistance with medications and minor personal care needs. Assisting with bathing and grooming of the client
- Practice safety by adhering to all procedures, including infection control
Temperament / Aptitude:
- Follow instructions
Chain of Command:
Reports to Director of Health and Wellness.